Sunday, September 21, 2014

With The Beatles


The Beatles second album, ‘With The Beatles’ was released on November 22nd, 1963. It was a major leap forward for the songs and production to the sleek, stylish black and white cover. On this album, 7 Lennon and McCartney songs where featured, opening with the trio, ‘It Won’t Be Long’, ‘All I’ve Got To Do’ and ‘All My Loving’. It was also George Harrison’s first song contribution to The Beatles, ‘Don’t Bother Me’.  Six covers, three from a little known Motown label, ‘Please Mister Postman’, ‘You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me’, and ‘Money’, this prepared Britain audiences for the Motown sound. The album replaced ‘Please Please Me’ (No.1 for 30 weeks) and kept The Beatles at the top of the UK charts for 21 more weeks.


They once again blew it out of the park with the fantastic Lennon/McCartney songs.  Their teamwork was already showing and paying off with countless number ones on their singles, including the albums themselves. Being the album right before ‘A Hard Day’s Night’, you can tell the difference between both of them, in the next few years, the amount of covers they were doing slowly dwindled until they had none at all.


My favorite song from the album was also the first song written by George called, ‘Don’t Bother Me’. The backstory on it was that George was sick and was forced to stay in bed, and during that time he just decided to write the song. It reminds me of myself, whenever I’m sick in lying in bed, the best poetry I write happens then.


“I know I'll never be the same
If I don't get her back again
Because I know she'll always be
The only girl for me”


I’ll be posting a link with each song so you can go and listen to them!
_________________________________________________


It Won’t Be Long –written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by Lennon and McCartney


All I’ve Got To Do –written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by Lennon


All My Loving –written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by McCartney


Don’t Bother Me –written and sung by George Harrison


Little Child –written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by Lennon with McCartney


Till There Was You –written by Meredith Wilson, sung by McCartney


Please Mister Postman –written by Georgia Dobbins, William Garrett, Freddie Gorman, Brian Holland, and Robert Bateman, sung by John Lennon with Paul McCartney and George Harrison


Roll Over Beethoven –written by Chuck Berry, sung by George Harrison


Hold Me Tight –written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by McCartney


You Really Got A Hold On Me –written by Smokey Robinson, sung by John Lennon with Paul McCartney and George Harrison


I Wanna Be Your Man –written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by Ringo Starr


Devil In Her Heart –written by Richard Drapkin, sung by George Harrison


Not A Second Time –written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by Lennon


Money (That’s What I Want) –written by Janie Bradford and Berry Gordy, sung by John Lennon with Paul McCartney with George Harrison


No comments:

Post a Comment