Sunday, November 2, 2014

I'll Cry Instead vs. Happiness Is A Warm Gun

I'll Cry Instead - A Hard Day's Night, 1964
~written and sung by John Lennon 
Happiness Is A Warm Gun - The Beatles (White Album), 1968
~written and sung by John Lennon

Compare: These 2 songs this week are both Lennon songs, which both have similarities in themselves. Both express what happenens when you lose your love and how you can rebound from the pain that comes along with it. 

Contrasts: From any 2 songs, I feel like these are almost the same and almost different at the same time. I'll Cry Instead is basically a cry of a man who has to prove to his love that he's the best for his woman in which he lost and will do the best to stay strong and win her back. This is really hard for the man because he has so many self doubts, but someday when he can feel good about himself, they'll have to "hide all the girls around the world ". Happiness Is A Warm Gun is a cry from a man about how his life is going and how his life is spiraling out of control and needs "happiness from a warm gun" to get through this part of his life. He talks about his life and how his wife effects his life, explaining how their time each day changes him.  

Likes: I love John's songs, plain and simple. He manages to put a large amount of feeling passion into the songs he writes, you feel like you're the actual person experiencing all of these feelings. 
He puts so much of his own feeling into it, it's so heartfelt and amazing. In I'll Cry Instead, he even references things I'm self conscious about myself which helps me when I'm down. 

Dislikes: In Happiness Is A Warm Gun, we all know that the song is referencing to suicide, which is a very touchy topic for me but it's John and I understand his feeling behind it. 

*remember that these are my own opinions and I understand that you might disagree with some of them and that's totally alright don't worry about it* 

(Words: 387)

No comments:

Post a Comment