Sunday, November 9, 2014

I Feel Fine vs I Am The Walrus

I I Feel Fine - Single, 1964 
~written by Lennon/McCartney, sung by John Lennon
I Am The Walrus - Magical Mystery Tour, 1967
~written by John Lennon, sung by Lennon 

Compare: I feel like these songs changed generations of music because of the styles they were both made. Featured in 'I Feel Fine' was the first mono Beatles track that had double backing vocals that was one of the songs that made The Beatles signature "sound". 'I Am The Walrus' is one of The Beatles most famous songs. Both of them do a job by almost telling a story about 2 people's distinct part of their lives. 

Contrast: Even though both of the songs are very John based by the difference of years, it's basically like 2 different Beatles. The 1964 Beatles were way, way, WAY different than 1967 Beatles and that's primarily because of the change of the years and just how music changes in itself. Which is very understandable why both of these songs sound super different. The amount of drug references that is made in I Am The Walrus is definitely a contrast to the amount that is made in I Feel Fine (and for what I know, I don't think there is any).

Likes: I love how both of the songs show how different music can change just in a matter of 3 years. I Feel Fine was odd for people in 1964 but how amazing it sounds for having been made in 1964. I Am The Walrus has a pretty awesome music type video in the 'Magical Mystery Tour' movie with The Beatles dressed up as animals (and just acting over all ADORABLEEEEE). 

Dislikes: I Feel Fine is very repetitive, some of The Beatles songs during that time was (I can think of one on the top of my head, Eight Days A Week) and after awhile it does kinda seem annoying. I Am The Walrus, for some people, seems too odd in the style the song was made *I enjoy it* and it does reference some drug like themes that is off putting for some people. 

(Words: 372) 

No comments:

Post a Comment