Sunday, October 5, 2014

Beatles for Sale




December of 1964 was the final big of the year. Beatles for Sale was the group's third album in a year, not to mention all the singles and EPs, and the strain began to show. They even looked a little wear on the cover.

Many of the eight new Lennon and McCartney songs were downbeat in tone including the opening 'No Reply', 'I'm A Loser' and 'Baby's in Black', although they roused themselves on 'Eight Days A Week' and the chirpy ballad 'I'll Follow The Sun'. And the six covers harked back to their Cavern Club days rather than following up their interest in the Tamla Motown sound. John also wanted this album to have almost a 'Bob Dylan' sound to it, having met Dylan in New York of that year. So the almost folkmusic was featured in some of the new songs on the album.

Goodbye covers, hello Beatles orginal songs! This was it, the last album with covers. It was a milestone in itself. They started with covers, and I bet they didn't feel comfortable with their music to let them go. That was it. They finally reached the last album with them on there! The cover of  'Words of Love' by Buddy Holly is what makes the album for me. My grandmother in 1956 actually got to meet Buddy Holly at a bowling alley (HOW COOL IT THAT!?). John Lennon loved Buddy Holly, he was one of his favorite singers, The Beatles name is even a play off of Buddy Holly and The Crickets. So knowing that my grandma got to meet one of John's heroes and inspired him, inspires me everyday with my own music.

"Hold me close and tell me how you feel
Tell me love is real
Words of love you whisper soft and true
Darling I love you"

I’ll be posting a link with each song so you can go and listen to them!
_________________________________________________
No Reply -written by John Lennon with Paul McCartney, sung by Lennon and McCartney

I'm A Loser  - written by John Lennon, sung by Lennon and McCartney

Baby's in Black - written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by McCartney and Lennon

Rock and Roll Music - written by Chuck Berry, sung by John Lennon

I'll Follow the Sun - written by Paul McCartney, sung by McCartney

Mr. Moonlight - written by Roy Lee Johnson, sung by John Lennon

Kansas City/Hey-Hey/Hey-Hey! - written by Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller and Richard Penniman, sung by Paul McCartney 

Eight Days a Week - written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, sung by John Lennon

Words of Love - written by Buddy Holly, sung by John Lennon

Honey Don't - written by Carl Perkins, sung by Ringo Starr

Every Little Thing - written by Paul McCartney, sung by John Lennon and McCartney

I Don't Want to Spoil the Party - written by John Lennon, sung by Lennon and Paul McCartney

What You're Doing - written by Paul McCartney, sung by McCartney

Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby - written by Carl Perkins, sung by George Harrison

(Words: 277)

No comments:

Post a Comment