Tuesday, October 14, 2014

With A Little Help From Some Famous Friends

When you think of Beatles songs, you instantly think of like Hey Jude, Let It Be, Eleanor Rigby, and even All You Need Is Love. Would you even think for a moment that they ever used songs that weren't yours? Well my friends, they did. Up until Help! (Excluding A Hard Day's Night) even! I know what you're thinking, "WHY WOULD THE BEATLES EVER HAVE TO COVER SONGS?! THEY WERE SO FAMOUS AND WROTE SUCH AMAZING SONGS!!" For a time, they thought their music wasn't good. They thought differently about that quickly.
 

This topic brings a memory to me that I will never forget. The first Beatles CD I ever bought was the Help! album, this was right before going on a road trip to North Dakota with my Grandma, Grandpa and Dad (my mom had to stay home and work). I was sitting at the table in my grandparents motor home, singing Act Naturally (that I loved because Ringo had the lead vocal). Soon, my grandma comes over and starts singing it with me. This confused me so much! I knew she knew little, to no Beatles songs, how could she know this one? I was soon to find out that Act Naturally was originally released by country singer Buck Owens the same year. Now whenever I go visit her we listen to the song and sing together.

But what makes me sad a little bit is that now most of the songs The Beatles covered are now more famous than the ones the original artist made. If you search for most of them in YouTube to listen to the song, or even look up the lyrics on Google, The Beatles always follow the end of the song title. Not even the original artists name.

I understand that they felt more comfortable doing covers since that was what they primarily did when they first started, and they did do FANTASTIC on all of the covers, especially shedding light on Motown Records and that styles of music that wasn't at all popular in England/Europe.

Even though this happened with The Beatles, it sure still goes on today. Hey, The Beatles are actually one of the bands that have been covered the most in history! It's almost like a full circle, they started with covers and now they are famous enough to have some of their songs covered. 
The band formally known as the "Korean Beatles"
(Words: 425)

No comments:

Post a Comment