Sunday, April 26, 2015

Dear Prudence vs. Back in the U.S.S.R

Back in the U.S.S.R - The White Album, 1968, Written and sung by Paul McCartney 
Dear Prudence - The White Album, 1968 ~ Written and sung by John Lennon 
Remember, THESE are my own opinions and they may be totally, 100% different than yours so no hate please!

Compare: The theme for the songs this week are the one's I said that Ringo didn't do the drums on. I feel like these 2 songs are really represented of the people/band that they were named after. 'Dear Prudence' was John writing about a girl named Prudence Farrow (actress Mia Farrow's sister) who was in India on the trip with them in 1968. She used to get caught in meditation and John wanted to make a song kinda after that, beaconing Prudence out of meditation.  'Back in the U.S.S.R' was basically a song based off of Chuck Berry's 'Made in America' and The Beach Boys 'California Girls'. 

Contrast: It's Lennon and McCartney at their work - we all know that there is going to be a difference in the sound of both of the songs. But another thing I think there is a difference in them is that one is more famous than the other (my opinion). We all know 'Dear Prudence' a lot more than we do 'Back in the U.S.S.R'. 

Likes: I like the songs on The White Album, it's like taking a jump into the later 1960's and experiencing multiple different kinds of genres of music on 1 album (packed with songs on both sides of it). These 2 are on the top of the list of my favorite songs on the album. I listen to Dear Prudence a lot more than Back in the U.S.S.R, I love Dear Prudence so much that someday I'd love to name my daughter Prudence so she could have it as her song.

Dislikes: Being a Ringo girl, you can guess that I'm not very happy that he didn't play the drums on this album. Yes, Paul did a decent job on them and if you didn't know that Ringo wasn't drumming, you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. But being me, I can't ever forget that it isn't Ringo whenever I listen to the songs. I'm the bad person of telling other people as they listen to the song that it isn't Ringo and they get angry at me. Sorry!

(Words: 461)

No comments:

Post a Comment