Sunday, April 12, 2015

Don't Pass Me By vs. What Goes On

Don't Pass Me By - 1968, The White Album (The Beatles) ~ Written and sung by Ringo Starr
What Goes On - 1965, Rubber Soul ~ Written by John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, sung by Ringo Starr
Remember, THESE are my own opinions and they may be totally, 100% different than yours so no hate please!

Compare: Since this is a very special week for Ringo, I decided to compare/contrast 2 of Ringo's BEATLES SONGS! Yes, Ringo didn't write or sing too many Beatles songs, so I wanted to make this special. What are mostly alike between these 2 songs is that Ringo had help in the writing process. He helped John and Paul in the writing of "What Goes On" and "Don't Pass Me By" being the first song he made by himself (yay!) 

Contrast: I wouldn't want to say that these 2 songs are almost completely different but I 100% think that they're almost different. Ringo has his own kind of writing that is different than John and Paul's, "Don't Pass Me By" it has a country type of feel that Ringo enjoys and you can tell the easy, rocky kind of feel from John and Paul in "What Goes On". 

Likes: It's Ringo and I love his voice, so I do love both of these songs. Don't Pass Me By took Ringo 6 years to make and I think that is the most adorable things I've ever heard! (Rather contrasted to the full album completion by John and Paul in 1 week). 

Dislikes: This isn't really about these 2 songs themselves by its more over the actions between John/Paul (mostly Paul) and Ringo over the discussion of singing songs. Paul thought that Ringo didn't have enough of a voiceless range to sing many songs - so that's why he basically only got 1 song on each album. What I find funny is that when Paul wrote Yellow Submarine he didn't want to sing it because the range was so easy and gave it to Ringo to sing. Now that's one of The Beatles most memorable songs. 

(Words: 395)

No comments:

Post a Comment