Sunday, April 19, 2015

My First Favorite Band - WASN'T THE BEATLES

I can tell what you're thinking from the title of this post - it's hard to believe that my first favorite band WASN'T The Beatles, I know, my friends react the same way whenever I tell them. Surprisingly, because of my first favorite band was one of the ways that I first got even introduced to The Beatles. My best friend gave me a CD package for my birthday that had greatest hits from the 1970's and there was one band on there that I just kept going to and kept listening to and will forever be a big part of my life - Badfinger. 

Yes I know that the name of the band is a little "risqué" but blame John Lennon for that. A unknown band from Wales called "The Iveys" caught the eye of The Beatles for one of their first recording acts on Apple Corps label. Really, John thought they should have more of a "edgier" sound to it, and as time would come to show, they did end up changing it. 

The relationship between The Beatles and Badfinger was one that was made to stand the test of time. They were there at the beginning of Apple Corps and stayed until close to the end, they were there from the very end days of The Beatles and yet Paul McCartney and George Harrison helped them keep their hopes up. Paul writing 2 of Badfinger songs and helping record them - sitting in on the album recording. Even though this wasn't particularly "Beatles" associated, but they did provide the sound track to "Magic Christian" - a movie Ringo Starr was in.

George Harrison loved Badfinger. He had them record on one of his albums after The Beatles broke up and even played on some of Badfinger songs on their album. Pete Ham loved playing slide guitar and George was never a big fan of it until they played a duet on one of Badfinger most famous songs, "Day After Day". From that time on, George showcased it in his music, and now that will be one of the things he will forever be famous for. He even invited Badfinger to play at "The Concert for Bangladesh" - in which Pete and George did a rendition of a Beatles song - Here Comes The Sun (every time I watch it, I just sit there and ball my eyes out. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen/heard in my life).

I am a very big suicide awareness advocate and Badfinger is one of the reasons why I am. In 1975, one of my heroes Pete Ham committed suicide in his home, taking his life just a month before his daughter, Petra was born. But it doesn't stop there, less than 10 years later, Tom Evans - the basest for Badfinger and Pete Ham's best friend committed suicide. In his sucide note, he said that he "wanted to be where Pete was" that it "was a better place". 

Even though Badfinger never became as famous as The Beatles did, they will forever be my first favorite in my mind and will forever be a major part of my life. 

(Words: 563)

No comments:

Post a Comment