Sunday, April 19, 2015

Within You Without You vs. Norwegian Wood

Norwegian Wood - 1965, Rubber Soul ~ Written and sung by John Lennon
Within You Without You - 1967, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ~ Written and sung by George Harrison 
Remember, THESE are my own opinions and they may be totally, 100% different than yours so no hate please!

Compare: This week is going to be sitar week! I picked 2 of the songs that I felt like really has a sitar presence (definitely Within You Without You). Norwegian Wood is significant to this as well because it was the first Beatles song to include the sitar with it - HOW COOL IS THAT?! Even though John wrote it, I feel like he left George shine on it with the sitar since this is around the time that he first started learning how to play it. Within You Without You has a sitar/violin battle in it and it a large part to the song in general. 

Contrast: Even though both of these songs have sitar in them, they are very different sounding.  Norwegian Wood was still a rock sounding song, just with the hit of the stringy sitar while Within You Without You is a song revolved around it, showcasing it's Indian type of sound with violins adding along to it. 

Likes: Both of these songs are 2 of my favorite Beatles songs. Sitar being one of the coolest instruments I have ever heard, I'm always fascinated by how The Beatles were able to integrate that specific sound into their music (from the skillful help of George Harrison)

Dislikes: It's really hard for me to find any kind of dislike on either of these songs - the only kind I can think of (not personally from my taste but I know people have other likes) is that some people do not enjoy the sound of sitar - which is totally up to them and everyone has their own kind of music style and sound that they like 

(Words: 345)

No comments:

Post a Comment